Friday, November 1, 2013

How accurate is a teaspoon to measure matcha?

I encountered another surprise regarding preparing tea. My interest varies as well as my favorite tea. Lately, I drink matcha almost every day. Every time I prepare matcha, I scale the weight of tea that I scoop, because I want to be good at measuring matcha accurately with the bamboo tea scoop. After trying this habit for a while, I was kind of getting a good sense to tell the weight of the matcha visually by looking at the heap on my tea scoop. 


However all of a sudden, I could not scoop a desired amount. After a while, I earned the right sense back. It happened a few times. This kind of trouble arouses my curiosity with surprise. I realized that the reason of the miss-measuring is not me losing accuracy, but the volume and weight of tea are actually changing. The miss-measuring often happened after loading new matcha into my tea caddy.

The causes of different density of tea are as follows;
These are my mere guesses.

1. Movement
Once I’ve measured freshly sifted tea directly from the sifter can. Another time, I measured the tea after transferring into the tea container from the sifter. The tea was shaken and compacted when transferred. Also, the tea stored in the container for a while must have gotten moved during the storage. The vibration caused by those movements might have made them more compact.  

2. Stored old tea
Even though you sift matcha, the fluffiness of old tea is not the same as brand new one. Once I sifted old tea with lumps, and it became fine tea but I realized that the particles were not still as fine as brand new tea.

3. Moisture
Once I sifted matcha on a rainy day and I have also done it on a fine day. Maybe tea gets heavier when it has absorbed moisture.

Even with sifted matcha, the volume will vary from time to time. Nobody may not be able to measure the tea accurately with the bamboo scoop. There might not be a necessity to be so accurate, but I still want to try, hahaha.

Now, I got curious about the topic that I wrote on the previous post. I have to know what range does the weight of matcha has if measured with the 5 ml spoon. I actually measured it again.

The range is between 1.0g and 1.4g.

You might not find a big difference in taste between 1.2 tea and 1.0 tea, or between 1.2tea and 1.4tea. However, there will be a certain difference between 1.0 and 1.4. I just want you to be aware that there is a range, but I still think that the 5ml spoon is a useful item to measure matcha for beginners. 

10 comments:

  1. Nice post! I like your scientific approach to accurately gauging the amount of matcha you scoop with your chashaku :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t it a little difficult measuring matcha accurately, is it? I just want to be good at it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi, what brand matcha is that? I'm seeking a deep green like that.

      Delete
    3. The Matcha Man

      Delete
  2. hi, nice blog :>
    Im Lynn, for matcha storage do you store them in the fridge with an air-tight container?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Lynn-san,
      I keep matcha on the shelf in the kitchen, not in the fridge. I usually consume one package (20g) in about two weeks. If you don’t consume that much in two weeks, you can keep the amount for two weeks in the container, and store the rest in the freezer.
      I have written about this topic in a past entry. If you would like, please check the following link.
      http://everyonestea.blogspot.jp/2014/11/every-day-matcha-made-easy-video.html

      Delete
  3. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!
    sencha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trick? Have a great day!
    valves manufacturer

    ReplyDelete