Thursday, July 26, 2012

Treat from Kyoto


Pastel colors of the sweets look attractive, inviting and excellent for summer.  I got a small box of confectionaries from a friend of mine.  It is a souvenir from Kyoto.  They are so cute, aren’t they?  Not to mention, so irresistible



The rainy season is finally over and the sunshiny days have started here.  It’s going to be another very hot day today.  To enjoy the fresh breeze of morning, I used white porcelain wares and enjoyably prepared tea for myself.



The confectionary gleams by the light from the window.  When I touched it with the sweet pick, I could feel the soft but firm jelly, and it started splitting out when I added more pressure.  I could perfectly imagine how it breaks down, melts and spreads in my mouth.  The flavor was ratherly surprising!  The jelly had a clear sweetness only with no other flavor.  It was extremely mellow and filling my mouth.   It is just a cluster of pure sweetness.  Every now and then, a piece of chestnut added a delightful twist with the nutty honey note, and red bean’s earthy aroma pleased my palate.  The sweets from Kyoto brought a luxurious and cool moment for my usual summer day.


10 comments:

  1. Japanese people do know how to make food look beautiful (and delicious !)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I love Japanese confectionaries not only for their taste but also their beautiful appearance.

      Delete
  3. So pretty! What type of confection is the white one wrapped in paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white one is difficult to describe. But it is like a lump of fine brown sugar. The flavor is simple, but profound. It is really really sweet, so basically I don’t like it so much. However, I love enjoying it with bitter green tea. It is exquisite when the sweetness with slightly roasted note harmonizes with the astringency of matcha.

      Delete
  4. I have to go have some matcha now! What are you drinking?
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lin-san, I'm having iced sencha in my office. I'v already had about 1 litter (35oz) of it today. It's really hot here. Have a nice day and nice matcha!

      Delete