Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Perfect place for casual matcha


Do you have any idea where you can have matcha casually in Japan, besides at home? 

What I can think of are some Japanese cafés and temples.  They usually serve matcha with a confectionary at around 500-900yen.   I like enjoying matcha while taking a look at the beautiful surroundings of the temples in Kyoto.  Finding those places are a little difficult than finding a coffee shop.  (It might not be true in Kyoto, though.)

This might sound like a much rarer occasion, but there is actually another place where I enjoy casual matcha. 

It’s a ceramic festival in my town!  Last weekend, I went to the festival, and found two booths that served matcha.  Of course, I tried both … as expected of me (^0^)  

What I enjoyed most were the tea wares.  They served tea with various ceramics made by the different artists of this area.

Tea bowls by up-and-coming potters used at the first place we stopped by


This place was operated by high school students.


Sweets were from my faovrite shop, Azumaken^^


This is the second place.


And the sweets


The tea bowl was superb. 

Moreover, they were reasonable.  They cost 400yen for the first place and 300yen for the second place.  

8 comments:

  1. Amazing! These pictures show such beautiful bowls, plates, and sweets! I wish to go somewhere like that someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Did you buy any ceramics? :P

      Delete
    2. Please visit our city for the festival someday! You are very welcome. Let’s have tea together!
      I didn’t buy any ceramics, but my wife bought a small bowl for rice (^^)

      Delete
  2. These bowls are really beautiful,that simple,black,Raku-like is my favorite and that flame red-orange one,too.Must be hard to decide if wishing to buy something there,l suppose.Hope that matcha was good,it looks fresh and wonderfully green.

    p.s.l'm having a hard time to read those words to prove l'm not a robot.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we have very similar taste for tea bowls. I also like black one and orange one (^-^)
      I sometimes think that I might be a robot, because I have difficultly recognizing the code as well, hahaha.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the post, wonderful japanese design.
    Here, a gallery in Paris, which has nice japanese art pieces:
    Yakimono Japanese Ceramics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad to know that there is such nice gallery for Japanese potteries in Paris. The link is not working. I guess you wanted to mean here …
      http://www.facebook.com/yakimonos

      Delete
  4. Great content material and great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting.
    valves manufacturer

    ReplyDelete